Billboards vs Hoardings: What’s the Difference?
In its simplest form, out-of-home (OOH) media is advertising that reaches consumers while they are outside their homes. Out-of-home media is advertising that focuses on marketing to consumers while they are “on the go” in public places, in transit (while they commute), waiting (such as waiting in a queue), and/or in specific commercial locations (such as in a retail venue). Thanks to their accessibility, versatility, and affordability, billboards and hoardings are among the most popular OOH advertising mediums.
You might be wondering what the difference is between billboard advertising and hoarding advertising. Billboard and hoarding advertisements are essentially one-in-the-same. Both leverage large signage, strategically placed to attract clients to your company or service within seconds. However, there are a few notable differences between billboards and hoardings, which also vary from country to country.
What is Billboard Advertising?
Billboards are the most common form of OOH in the world. They are often placed strategically along roadsides to attract the attention of pedestrians, drivers, and commuters as they pass by. Billboards and hoardings can also be found on the sides of buildings, around shopping centres, and even in bus terminals. Ranging in size, roadside billboards, and billboards on the sides of buildings, are often very large, allowing them to dominate their space and attract consumers’ attention.
Like billboards, hoardings are large outdoor advertising structures designed to grab the attention of your target demographic. Unlike billboards, which are often placed along busy roads or on sides of large buildings, hoardings are typically placed on scaffolding around construction sites, around sporting venues, and in other high traffic areas. This also depends on the country of reference and in some cases, the two terms are used interchangeably. In the UAE for example, Hoardings are described as the largest formats available, running parallel to the road and up to 400 Metres in length!
Benefits of Billboard and Hoardings Advertising
Both billboards and hoardings provide a large, impactful, and creative outdoor advertising option to effortlessly spread your brand message to potential clients driving or walking by the strategically placed advertisement. Thanks to their large size and captivating placement, hoardings attract potential customers while simultaneously showcasing your message in a manner that attracts consumers.
Billboards and hoardings naturally attract the attention of everyone passing by. They’re both designed to attract customers with bold and engaging slogans, tag lines, and distinct visuals. Hugely cost-effective, the price of hoardings depends on your advertisement’s size and location. Either back or front-lit, hoardings can be used to spread your message both day and night.
Advantages of hoarding advertising include:
– Visibility: anyone who leaves their home and passes your billboard or hoarding will see your message or promotion. Your advertising campaign can reach potential consumers walking, driving, or commuting to work, depending on the desired location.
– Target Audiences: depending on your audience, you can strategically place your billboard or hoarding in a location to target your key demographic. For example, if you would like to attract potential consumers between the ages of 18-25, you might benefit from placing your billboard or hoarding near a university.
– Cost Efficient: the cost for billboards and hoarding advertising depends on your advertisement’s location and size, making this an effective OOH advertising method affordable for all budgets.
– Flexible: aside from getting creative with your message, you can also choose back or front-lit hoardings to spread your message both day and night.
– Adaptable – both billboards and hoardings provide a flexible communication tool that effortlessly reaches mass audiences.
– Spreads brand awareness – both billboards and hoardings establish strong brand awareness and offer significant exposure to a broad audience.
Carrot & Stick Out-of-Home Advertising
OOH advertising in the UAE is a complex and incredibly competitive process to navigate. At Carrot & Stick, our team of advertising professionals is here to assist you through the maze of locations, formats, and price opportunities to guarantee your message is viewed by the most massive audience possible. From hoardings and billboards to digital LED screens and everything in between, we’ll leverage our experience to help you expand your reach and build your brand.